Over the past 2 months, we have delved into the different components of effective product messaging. This blog entry is going to help put all of the components together into a product messaging checklist that should help guide you in your work.
A similar checklist appears in my eBook Killer Messaging - 9 Mistakes that Kill your Marketing Messages
Your Checklist for Effective Product Messaging
- Know your audience - buyer personas are a valuable tool for getting those important audience details into a usable form
- Identify What is it? - define the category for your product so your audience can remember it
- Identify Who is it for? - tell your audience who is expected to use your product
- Describe What does it do - describe what problems your product solves, then the product's features
- Support Benefits with Features - benefits are the reason one buys, features are the proof points
- Verbalize Why should I care? - understanding your audience's intellectual and emotional motivations are key
- Demonstrate How is it different - value propositions help you find your product's compelling differentiation
- Write the right copy - use plain, correct language and easily readable format to clearly communicate your messages
Good marketing messagers are NOT a dime a dozen. It always pays off to take the time to do your homework, build your skills, and continually believe that you can improve.
Good luck. Let me know how you do.